We know that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. This is the case of these 30 shocking pictures that illustrate touching and often tragic moments in our history. You let you discover these extraordinary pictures.
1. A hungry little boy gives his hand to a missionary
via Mike Wells
2. The inside of a gas chamber of Auschwitz concentration camp
3. A surgeon and his assistant are exhausted after a successful heart transplant operation that lasted 23 hours
via James Stanfield
4. Diego Frazão Torquato, crying, playing the violin at the funeral of his teacher who helped him out of poverty
5. A young man who has just learned the murder of his brother
via Nhat V. Meyer
6. A protester shot at point blank range in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
7. Homeless waiting to receive free food outside a mosque in New Delhi, India
via Tsering Topgyal / AP
8. The majestic funeral of Zanjeer, a dog who saved thousands of lives during the 1993 explosions in Mumbai, India
9. An alcoholic father and his son
10. A couple hugging until their last breath. They were found dead in the rubble after the collapse of a factory.
via Taslima Akhter
11. A gypsy boy smoking a cigarette in 2006 in the Saint Jacques in Perpignan, France
via Jesco Denzel
12. The Hhaing Yu holding weeping at his destroyed house after Cyclone Nargis in May 2008 (Burma)
via Brian Sokol
13. A former Russian tank soldier finding the Tank used by him during the Second World War
14. A protester placing flowers in the gun of a soldier. This photo was taken on Oct. 21, 1967 during a march to the Pentagon.
via Bernie Boston
15. Robert Peraza kisses his son’s name on the memorial dedicated to the victims of the September 11 attacks
16. Russian soldiers preparing for the battle of Kursk in July 1943 (photo created in 2006 from archives)
17. Afghan offering tea to American soldiers fighting on the ground of his ancestors
via Rafiq Maqbool / AP
18. Jewish prisoners released from a “death train” on the way to a concentration camp in 1945
19. A French civilian weeping in despair when the Nazis took control of Paris during the Second World War
20. POW Horace Greasley gazes at Heinrich Himmler during the inspection of the camp
21. A man carries a child away from the site of a bomb attack in Pakistan
22. A woman keeps a military bulldozer from rolling over an injured man in Cairo, Egypt
23. An anti-government protest offers a rose to a soldier in Bangkok
24. A German prisoner of World War II meets his daughter. The child had not seen his father since the age of one year.
26. The priest Luis Padillo made a final prayer for a man wounded by gunfire from a sniper fire in Venezuela
27. Sisters posing for the same picture at three different times in their lives. On the last one, the third sister was no longer part of this world.
28. John F. Kennedy Jr. salutes his father’s coffin during an honor guard
29. A monk prays for a man died suddenly while waiting for a train to Taiyuan Shanxi China
30. Christian Golczynski, 8 years old, accepts the American flag handed over to him in honor of his father, Sergeant Marc Golczynski. The latter was killed while on patrol during his second duty in Iraq only weeks before his return home
This series of photographs offers a moving retrospective of modern history. The photographs of these starving African children moved us a lot. Which one of these pictures did you find most touching? If you liked this post may be you would also like 19 Emotional Charged Photographs That Prove That Humanity Is Not Yet Lost.